Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Wit" or "W;t"

A couple of days ago I read "Wit" by Margaret Edson. I knew that another local high school was doing it for their One Act Play, so I thought I should read it. I can definitely see why the schools theatre director chose to do it... It is a fantastic play!

I loved the simplicity of the whole thing; it started out simply and ended on the same note. It was so moving seeing the main character, Vivian, and her struggle to battle cancer. Seeing her transformation from this strong professor of 17th century poetry to the end where she becomes almost childlike is incredibly moving. This play doesn't have a whole lot going on, but that works in it's favor. I can see how this show could easily be messed up without the right cast and direction from the director.

I'm currently in the process of reading "Dancing at Lughnasa" and I'm falling in love with it! I'll post again once I've finished it and let you know what I thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment