Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day One. Febuary 23, 2011. "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"

Today I read "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" by Jay Presson Allen, adapted from the novel by Muriel Spark. This was one of the plays I got from my drama teacher Mrs.Abney, when I asked her for some plays to read about a week ago. I have to say that I'm quite glad I decided to start off my blog with this play.

I don't want to give out any spoilers but the play follows Miss Brodie, a bohemian style teacher in her "prime", and her class of students nicknamed the "Brodie Set". I think I liked this play because I felt like I could sort of relate to Miss Brodie's alternative teaching style. If, God forbid, I ever became a teacher I think I would be a lot like Miss Brodie. In male form of course. She never gives up her desire to teach students in a new and more stimulating way. That's how I would want to teach theatre. I would constantly be looking for new ways to do things and different ways to look at what has already been done before.

This isn't a show I have a real strong desire to be in, but I would love to have the chance to see it onstage one day. I think it would be incredibly moving! Especially the scene when... Well I can't tell you that, you will just have to read it yourself.

Day One was successful and I'm excited for tomorrow to begin Day Two. I think I will read "Wit" but we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. You know you can go see it this weekend at Greater Lewisville Community Theatre! I'd love to see how you felt about it once you saw it performed live. I think one of the major themes of this play, especially given the time period in which it is set, is "how far is too far?" when expanding a student's horizons, and at what cost?

    Here are some suggestions for plays that I've read recently (some have some pretty adult themes and motives, but I wouldn't send you anything trashy....so tell your Mom you can trust me!):

    Rabbit Hole by David Lindsay Abaire
    Proof by David Auburn
    Fat Pig by Neil Labute (or any of his "beauty plays," including "The Shape of Things" and "reasons to be pretty")
    A Feminine Ending by Sarah Treem
    Jack and Jill by Jane Martin

    Don't forget about some of the classics, too! I think I still have a drama anthology or two from college if you need some ideas!

    FINALLY -- why not pick up The Glass Menagerie and then come see me in it? :)

    ReplyDelete